Friday, October 10, 2008

The Parable of the wheat and the tares

Jesus tells the parable of the wheat and the tares in Matthew Ch.13. A farmer planted seeds. His servants came in to report that the enemy had scattered tares among the seeds. They asked if the tares should be removed. The farmer replied that removal of the tares could kill the seeds- “let them grow together until the harvest.”

Let me tell you about my wheat and tare…
My fibroid was brought to my attention two years ago. I was told that if I became pregnant, the fibroid could become a problem. “A problem” meaning big, painful, a nuisance, a large addition to an already rounded pregnant belly, a possible threat to my baby, etc.

Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous tumors that can develop in various locations in and around the uterus. Many women have them and never even know it. Researchers are still unsure what causes them, but they have found that increased estrogen (aka: pregnancy) can encourage rapid growth.

So, fibroids can grow inside the uterus; which means that they can wrestle a baby for space and blood supply. Some also grow within the uterine wall- leading to nutritional deficiencies and (I’m guessing) way too much pressure on the uterine wall, rupturing, internal bleeding, and severe pain??? I really can’t even imagine.

My fibroid was on the outside of my uterus. Noah was actually complete opposite of the massive pain in my butt, and did not have to compete for blood or space.

Thankfully, the Lord had been persistent in calling me back to Him. He and I had been developing a new relationship for about a year when I found out that I was pregnant. When my mean old faithless doctor told me she’d “keep my fingers crossed. First baby, fibroid that big…(head shaking as she walked away)” it fazed me, but not for too long.

I called my husband, and I was reminded to pray. If you have yet to experience God's incredible peace, I highly recommend that you read Philippians 4:6-7. Even if you're familiar, it's an awesome and powerful scripture.

As I became increasingly pregnant, the fibroid began to grow and grow and grow (and grow some more). It took over the right side of my belly, and Noah hung out on the left. EVERYONE asked if I was carrying twins. I didn’t want to go into it so I’d just smile and say; “Nope, I don’t think so.”

At times I would feel a sharp stabbing pain as the darn thing ripped through my (no longer) Abs of Steel. However, the pain was truly minimal. I was mainly just aggravated by the size and presence of it. Irritated that I spent more time rubbing it than my baby- who was not as easily located. I continued to marvel, in annoyance, at the size of it. I also wondered if they could remove the monstrosity. My husband shared Matthew 13 with me- he’s ever encouraging with his knowledge of God’s Word.


The docs told me that the placement of the fibroid was a blessing and that we wouldn’t touch it- as long as I was not in severe pain. They also told me that the amount of blood flowing to my uterus would not allow them to remove the fibroid during the birth of Noah. Basically, odds were that I would bleed to death if they tried. Therefore, I would need to schedule for its removal 6 months after delivery. Oh, the pineapple within. I tried to learn to love it, really, I did!

When they took me in for a C-Section, the fibroid was right in the way of getting to Noah. The “half hour procedure” was taking FOREVER and I began to squirm and have trouble breathing. The doctor apologized “Sorry, Kelly, this fibroid is giving me some trouble.” Turns out, she tried to cut through it, thinking it was my uterus. Eventually, she had to remove it to get to the baby. Remember the odds of “bleeding to death” or looking forward to another surgery in six months? When God has other plans, astounding things happen…

There was barely any blood flowing to the four-pound mass. They took it out, took pictures, named it, and then my husband asked to keep it (we didn’t, they did). Noah weighed less than half of the “tare.” As you all know, he is stronger every day and healthy. He defied all odds to come home with us. Talk about a harvest!!!

I did not include a picture of the fibroid here. If you would like to see it (think a cow heart, or something similar), I can email it to you… Just let me know and I will accommodate.

"I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth."
-Psalm 34:1

1 comment:

Karla Brzak said...

Oh my gosh Kelly! I guess I had no idea! I have been crying for the last twenty minutes and I am SOOO thankful that you are still here! Since you will not be here for Thanksgiving, I want you to know that when we go around the table to say what we are thankful for I am going to say "MY AMAZING SISTER!" I love you very much, and thank you for making my eyes Puffy!