Monday, October 25, 2010

What a delectable cracker...

I think that's how you spell it. And, man oh man, that's a Vinta cracker for you! Multigrain, perfect size, crunch, mouthwatering taste. Slap on a chunk of extra sharp cheddar cheese and it's droolmania!

Too bad they only sell them at Trader Joes. TJ is awesome, but about a thirty min drive from my house. Did you know that TJ accepts food stamps? I did not until I called and found out they do. IDK why I was so pleasantly surprised by this fact. I guess peeps in the burbs are hit by the economy too. (As for the "pleasant" part, ecstatic is a better word).

THE BRIDGE CARD: This is a big reason that grocery store prices are RIDICULOUSLY hicked up in the inner city of Detroit. A much greater percentage of patrons use the Bridge card, than cash or credit. Why not charge 3.98 for a bottle of taco sauce? SEVEN DOLLARS for a bag of peanut sized oranges... the state is paying for it anyways. Plus, people without cars are not likely to catch the bus a hundred miles outside the city to pay less. This is crazy to me. There are no grocery store chains in the city limits. Not a Super-Walmart, Meijer, Kroger, or even a Target, etc. Just one Aldi five feet INSIDE the city limits. Whatsupwiththat?

I remember needing diaper wipes for Noah one time, when I was on the West Side. It would have taken me at least 30-40 minutes to get to a Target or other normal priced place. I had to opt for the CVS. Target wipes=1.84 CVS wipes (with about 30 less wipes in the package)=3.89 Total ripoff=more than two dollars...double it for an equal wipes to package ratio!

I was appalled. Esp. considering how many mothers I see waiting for the bus on a daily basis. What choice do they have but to take it up the wazoo to keep their kids wazoos clean? And no wonder they can't crawl out of the inner city financial wormhole. Almost an hour of minimum wage work for barely enough wipes to last a week (if the baby never poops). Add in the price of daycare, ripoff diapers, AND time and transportation to get the baby ready, dropped off, get to work for 7 bucks an hour, take the bus to get the baby, take the bus to the ripoff market, take the bus home, bus, bus, bus, ripoff, ripoff, ripoff...Welfare Check PLEASE!!!!!! CRAZY SOAPBOX MATERIAL HALTING because I have to do my homework:)

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I SO know what you are talking about! Donnie and I talk about that stuff all the time!