Friday, December 5, 2008

Day 3

So, the excitement of the daycare left me on the verge of a stroke! If you do not know about the daycare excitement, scroll down 2 blogs, and read that first...

I rushed out of the infant room at racecar speed. Son in one hand, keys in the other. It's a shame, really; minus the boogers, those kids were cute!

Six weeks have passed and I still find myself eyeing little nostrils wherever I go. Yesterday, I was in the hospital for hours. (Waiting for busy doctors has become a part of our weekly life.) Noah and I were the only ones in one of the waiting rooms, so we stayed (as opposed to moving to the hall).

After about 5 minutes of solitude, a woman walked her stroller and 7 yr. old in to join us. She and I chit-chatted it up for a few minutes, and the little girl sat down to color. We were having a funny conversation about how kids are SO big these days, when I noticed enormous hacking noises coming from the 7 yr. old. I looked at her and she started rubbing her nose with the back of one hand, while continuing to color with the other.

She began turning toward her mom and I, trying to contribute to the conversation. Suddenly, I kid you not, I saw a slow motion SPRAY of germ-infested spit fly from her un-covered mouth ALL over the community crayon bucket. I subtly whisked my son into the hallway-pretending to show him the lights, the wall, and other "fascinating" fixtures.

Immediately after they were called out of the waiting room, another woman entered. This time, there were three children in tow. The boy went for the fish tank and the girls beelined for the crayons. I watched in horror as they smiled, laughed, passed crayons, and spread the whooping cough all over themselves. Then the mom called the little one over to brush her hair, and she became infected as well.

Just watching the scene, I felt the need to wash my hands repeatedly. The mother kept giving me and Noah this “I would love to talk to you about your baby” smile. I hope mine didn’t say “You are INSANE for letting your children touch those crayons, lady!” Seriously, I’m going to need to work on this germaphobe thing, or Noah is going to be a recluse!!

No comments: